Filing a Complaint

File a Complaint with the Long-Term Care Ombudsman:

If you have concerns about your quality of care or rights as a resident/tenant of one of Iowa’s long-term care facilities, or if you have concerns on behalf of your loved one who is living in a nursing facility, assisted living program, long-term care facility or elder group home, follow these steps to advocate effectively:

  1. Document and report concerns and problems to staff members directly involved as soon as they arise. If your actions yield no results, report your concerns to staff supervisors in writing and request a face-to-face meeting.
  2. Be assertive, confident and respectful in your interactions with staff. Clearly state your concerns and the outcomes you would like to see.
  3. Contact your Local Long-Term Care Ombudsman if your concerns are not being addressed by the facility staff. Depending on your situation and where you live, you may be referred to another staff member who can assist you with legal issues, discharge concerns, elder abuse or other matters.

You may also wish to contact the Department of Inspections and Appeals (DIA), which serves as Iowa's regulatory agency responsible for inspecting nursing facilities. Within the DIA, the section that performs the inspections is the Health Facilities Division. To contact that office, call 1-877-686-0027.

File a Complaint with the Managed Care Ombudsman:

If you are a Medicaid managed member who receives long-term care in a facility or is enrolled in a home and community-based waiver services (HCBS) program, you may file a complaint about your managed care experiences with the Managed Care Ombudsman Program. 

To begin the complaint process, please complete and submit the online form.

You may also download the complaint form, fill it out completely and submit it by mail, fax or email to:

Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman
Attn: Managed Care Ombudsman
Jessie M. Parker Building
510 E 12th Street, Suite 2
Des Moines, IA 50313-9025
Fax: 515-725-3313

If you need assistance filling out the form or need to request an alternative format, call (866) 236-1430.

If you are a provider or a Medicaid managed care member who is not enrolled in one of the programs served by the Managed Care Ombudsman Program, please contact the State of Iowa Office of Ombudsman to file your complaint.